[Bitcoin-development] A critique of bitcoin open source community

Jean-Paul Kogelman jeanpaulkogelman at me.com
Sat Oct 19 23:35:13 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-19, at 4:20 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Luke-Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
>> See BIP 1 for the process.. proposals go to this mailing list first.
>
> FWIW, he did post to the mailing list and he got an underwhelming response:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=20ec1e35-3051-45d6-b449-e4a4d5c06dc8%40me.com&forum_name=bitcoin-development

Although I agree that the number of responses on the mailing list was minimal, they were overall positive. Mike voiced concerns about not having a date field to limit the rescan when importing, but other than that, most of the discussion was on bitcointalk. I've made a number of revisions, trying to incorporate the suggestions that were given. Obviously this doesn't mean that the draft is final (specifically the KDF's that can be used is still up for debate and having 29 undefined ID's means it's reasonably future proof).

Having it on the BIP page doesn't make it any more official, I agree, but it does increase its exposure and will hopefully spark some more discussion.

jp