[Bitcoin-development] A critique of bitcoin open source community

Wladimir laanwj at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 10:00:43 UTC 2013

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 1:20 AM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since much discussion didn't materialize I went and gave it a
> technical once over, posting to the forum.

At least I now understand where he got the idea of bitcoin devs being a
bunch of paranoid, anti-authoritarian nutjobs :-) I've been on a lot of
forums in my life but never encountered one with such selfish, unhelpful,
trolling, complaining sods (well maybe apart from 15-year old gamers).

Nick couldn't have got that idea from discussion on this mailing list or
#bitcoin-dev. Please don't send anyone to that jungle. People shouldn't get
the idea that that the forum is our development community, or even endorsed
by the devs.

As for the real developer community, I haven't noticed so much
unfriendliness or closedness. But the core devs are with very few people
(certainly compared to the number of users) and reviewing and testing takes
time so pull requests, proposals and such can linger for a while. Which can
indeed be frustrating.

Wladimir