[Bitcoin-development] Revisiting the BIPS process, a proposal

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Tue Oct 22 07:34:57 UTC 2013

On 22/10/13 09:03, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 11:59 PM, Jean-Paul Kogelman
> <jeanpaulkogelman at me.com> wrote:
>> Have you seen: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Protocol_specification ?
>
> Take care, the information in the wiki is woefully incomplete.

Imagine myself, with no prior knowledge of Bitcoin looking at the
document. It starts with "Hashes". What hashes? No idea what's going on.
Etc.

Now compare that to a well written RFC. It starts with introduction,
description of the problem, explains the conceptual model of the
solution, then dives into the details. There's also Security
Considerations part in every RFC that is pretty relevant for Bitcoin.

As I said, I am willing to help with writing such document, it would be
a nice way of learning the stuff, however, help from core devs, such as
answering question that may arise in the process, or reviewing the
document would be needed.

Martin