[Bitcoin-development] Revisiting the BIPS process, a proposal

Jeremy Spilman jeremy at taplink.co
Thu Oct 24 19:43:15 UTC 2013

Thanks Christian, this is a really interesting bit of history. My own
personal experience from when I wrote my own client and BCCAPI-ish server
was that the protocol specification on the Wiki was hugely valuable, and
rarely sent me astray. Supplement that with the occasional questions on
#bitcoin-dev, and then just coding, coding, coding and getting unit tests
to pass.

Nothing compares (IMO) to stepping through your own code watching the unit
tests run, scripts evaluate, calculating transaction hashes for the
different SIGHASH modes, and finally getting your first transaction into
the block chain. I really appreciated the .json files holding the unit
test data, which were easy to load into my own test harness, the tables on
the Wiki showing what the stack should look like at each point in a script
execution, and the diagrams showing transaction signing.

Bitcoin takes some time to "grok" when you first approach; more than a
day, less than a month, and really no amount of reading documentation or
specs will get you to that "ah ha" moment. When the fog lifts and the
blockchain, scripting, signing, and wallet handling really click, suddenly
the bitcoind code (and many other great public sources in just about any
language you could want) actually does starts to feel fairly simple and
obvious. But it certainly doesn't start out that way on day one.

I think the majority of client code development is actually people writing
'agents' not end-user P2P wallets, and they tend to be written to connect
to a single bitcoind acting as a proxy to the network. Even some end-user
wallets work this way! As such, I spent very little time in my own client
writing P2P protocol code, no peer discovery code, no anti-DoS, etc.
Clients like this also don't pose much systemic risk, because they don't
mine, they don't connect directly to external nodes, etc. They can
certainly be used to "cause trouble" though, but so can
'sendrawtransaction'.

I chose to speak the P2P protocol to bitcoind versus using some of the
other options like ZeroMQ, but it still didn't take long to get headers,
blocks, and transactions downloading. I remember getting stuck on the very
first version message, because of missing the checksum and user-agent or
something caused the latest bitcoind to just ignore me. A little wireshark
capture of the exchange between two working bitcoind instances cleared it
right up. I didn't mind the leg work, I don't think everything needs to be
spoon fed, and it's certainly not purposefully obfuscated. Maybe one
exception is the mix-matched endianness will throw you off, especially if
you are developing on LE! Anyway, I have huge respect for how much effort
it takes to keep even small bits of documentation up-to-date. For as
"slow" as bitcoin moves, it's actually moving incredibly fast.

Finally, the bitcoind console and debug logs, as well sites like
blockchain.info and blockexplorer.com are hugely helpful for debugging raw
and live transactions for when you get stuck. There's a surprisingly large
tooling and support ecosystem out there.

Moral of the story, I think, is everything you need is there. No, it's not
all in one place. Yes, it takes time to find it and assimilate all that
knowledge. It also really helps that the community is extremely willing to
help and answer technical questions, and point you in the right direction,
even when you're working on your own private client code. The IRC channel
can certainly be intimidating because it seems like every time I hit enter
to send a question, gmaxwell's respond 300ms later would invoke an
immediate forehead slap and a groan of "shit, I knew/should have known
that, now I feel dumb" ;-) but if you're working on bitcoin, you better
get used to not being the smartest person in the room! The responses I got
were never arrogant or disparaging, but they were straight to-the-point
and surprisingly high quality. Ain't no slouches in that channel, yes you
will have to bring your A-game and you are expected to have "tried first"
before just asking. I have fairly limited experience working on open
source projects, but I'm extremely happy with my experience with the
Bitcoin community and found writing Bitcoin code hugely enjoyable.

The flip side to helping people implement their own clients, agents, or
even miners, is helping people to contribute pulls requests, or at the
very highest echelon, a BIP. If you haven't written any significant
Bitcoin code, you might want to consider investing in that first before
submitting a BIP. :-)

For a BIP to be valuable, often it requires widespread or even consensus
adoption. BIPs are probably not the place to toss just any old 'good idea'
because BIPs impose a cost on all active developers. I want to read and
understand 'all the BIPs' because for the most part they are actually
essential, like, how to handle duplicate transactions in BIP30 - if you
don't read BIP30 you very likely totally miss that, until your code throws
exceptions while processing block 91842.

And perhaps the hardest kind of BIP of all is the "lets get wallets to add
this user-facing feature" where it has no bearing on the blockchain or
transaction processing, it doesn't make the network more resilient or add
crucial functionality for increasing scalability. Kind of like JPK's HD
wallet encryption proposal, which I love, and I tried to contribute to in
the forums, but I can totally understand the headwinds for making progress
on BIPs like that one and BIP39. No one is against it per-say, it's just
much harder to articulate and justify the NEED for everyone to implement,
test, and support this new not-yet-standard, nice-to-have feature. For
those kinds of BIPs you probably have to go out and get some wallets to
implement it, or implement it yourself, to prove the value and kick start
critical mass before you will even get enough support for getting a BIP
number assigned. IMO, it's not a Bad Thing.

TL;DR; The current support systems worked very well for me. I was able to
accomplish all my goals, and I would even say it was a pleasure. Keep a
high bar for assigning BIP numbers. And I hope to be able to jump back in
and do more with Bitcoin soon.

Thanks all, sorry if I'm rambling,
Jeremy Spilman