[Bitcoin-development] Making fee estimation better

Andreas Petersson andreas at petersson.at
Fri Oct 25 12:02:35 UTC 2013

> Worth thinking about the whole ecosystem of wallets involved; they all
> have to handle double-spends gracefully to make tx replacement of any
> kind user friendly. We should try to give people a heads up that this is
> coming soon if that's your thinking.

If there is a situation where wallets are supposed to constantly monitor
the tx propagation and recreate their transactions with different fees,
this would make a lot of usecases inconvenient.
half-offline bluetooth transactions, users with unstable connections,
battery power lost, etc, etc. - and last but not least power concerns on
hardware wallets on the bitcoincard (tx signing drains a significant amount
of power and should therefore only be done once)

-Andreas