[Bitcoin-development] Making fee estimation better

Jeremy Spilman jeremy at taplink.co
Fri Oct 25 19:35:34 UTC 2013

Do you think we're at the point where wallets have to be able to "actively
bid" the fee using replacement due to block contention?

I think a fee estimation API is just a data point. Depending on the
properties of the estimator, and how that's presented in the UI, it could
serve to either increase or decrease the need for recovery.

Like you said, we already have "fee estimation" in the form of "user,
please estimate the fee!" Now we want to make fee estimation "better", and
one key aspect of better fee estimation is decreasing the need for
recovery. Techniques like signing multiple transactions with different fee
levels should become less useful the better you are at estimating the fee.

What I find interesting is that fee estimation can look at the size and
type of the transaction, the age of the inputs, the number of inputs
versus outputs, amount of the outputs, factor in [assumptions about] what
fee policies miners are actually using, and after all that, look at the
actual competing transactions on the blockchain and try to figure out how
many of those are even real.

For example, if you just look at fee-per-KB of mempool versus fee-per-KB
of recently mined transactions, without taking into account input age,
number of inputs vs outputs, output amounts... all the other things miner
might have used to discriminate between transactions, then I don't think
you'll end up with a better fee estimator.

Contention might bump you out of a few blocks, but if the basis for
calculating the fee is fundamentally compatible with the relay policies
and the transaction-inclusion policies being run by large mining pools,
the transaction isn't dead, it's just pending.