[Bitcoin-development] Feedback requested: "reject" p2p message

Gavin Andresen gavinandresen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 00:34:51 UTC 2013

Mike Hearn has been lobbying for an "error" message in the Bitcoin p2p
protocol for years (at least since the "ban peers if they send us garbage"
denial-of-service mitigation code was pull-requested). This came up again
with my proposed "smartfee" changes, which would drop low-priority or
low-fee transactions.

In short, giving peers feedback about why their blocks or transactions are
dropped or why they are being banned should help interoperability between
different implementations, and will give SPV (simplified payment
verification) clients feedback when their transactions are rejected due to
insufficient priority or fees.

See the gist for details, I'm looking for feedback and planning on
implementing this before circling back to finish the 'smart fee' work:

   https://gist.github.com/gavinandresen/7079034

Gavin Andresen