[Bitcoin-development] Python implementation of RFC 6979

slush slush at centrum.cz
Tue Sep 10 16:52:26 UTC 2013

Hi all,

yesterday I found some time and implemented RFC 6979 into python-ecdsa
module.

RFC 6979 proposes algorithm of calculating 'k' value for signature from
private key and signed data, so the 'k' is unique, but deterministic for
every signature. This enabled simple unit tests of code using ECDSA
signatures as well as some nice use cases for blackbox testing of 3rd party
software (you can calculate on your own if some software is making valid
signature, because there's no randomnes involved in the process). Yes, I'm
referring Trezor :-).

There's my fork of python-ecdsa with RFC 6979:
https://github.com/trezor/python-ecdsa/

There's pull request waiting for python-ecdsa author aproval:
https://github.com/warner/python-ecdsa/pull/10

Aaand there's RFC 6979: tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6979

Thanks,
slush