[Bitcoin-development] smart contracts -- possible use case? yes or no?

rob.golding at astutium.com rob.golding at astutium.com
Sat Sep 28 20:15:34 UTC 2013

> But the regulatory environment in many geographical regions in
> uncertain.   Do we need to pay capital gains?   Do we need to pay a
> sales taxs etc. etc.

In most regions it's not only 'simple' but trivial - BTC is just
'another currency' and accounted for exactly the same way - it doens't
matter if you sell your hose for GBP, USD, EUR, BTC or sacks of Pig
Dung, you still have a GBP tax issue ...

> So my idea is to voluntarily pre empt legislation by giving donations
> to govt (aka taxation) for bitcoin service providers.

You want to volunteer to pay tax ? I'd suggest stronger medication ...

> However, there is something of a problem with voluntary donations.
> Most people are not satisfied with the way they are spent.

80% of 'donations' end up spent on 'adminsitration' and not what they
were donated for, this is a 'greed' issue not a 'currency' issue.

> In the UK
> a recent survey said that only 18% of people thought that tax money
> was wisely spent.

Tax isn't voluntary or a donation. The 18% who think UK tax is well
spent are the 18% of the population who get the tax money, not the 82%
that pay it ;)

> Can we fix it?

First we kill all the politicians ...

> So let's say I run a business and I make 1 million euros.  I wish to
> donate 10% of my profits to society.  But let's say I dont want that
> money to go to wars of aggression, but rather, to the fire
> de[department.

So give it to the FD - what you do with your post-tax profits are up to
you ;)

> At this point everyone wins.  The business person is happy to make a
> contribution.  The govt. is happy that it gets more revenue.  The
> fire dept. is happy that it has revenue to do its work.  And
> everything has gone to the right place in a kind of democratic way.

Where does gov't come into this ? I think you're confusing 'tax' which
you have zero control over and 'donations' which you already have 100%
control over.

Rob