[Bitcoin-development] smart contracts -- possible use case? yes or no?

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Sun Sep 29 09:37:08 UTC 2013

There are some policy decision points in the protocol (and code) that may
become centralized risks or choke points that undermine the p2p nature.  So
the extent that those can be argued to have in principle have a technical
fix, it could be quite interesting to research the necessary technology
(advanced crypto, byzantine networking argument etc) that could address
them.  eg payee/payer blacklisting by a large group of miners and "committed
transaction" proposal to address it.

However even for that type of thing I think bitcoin-dev would probably
rather focus eg on something that has reached the stage of having a BIP.  Eg
it might be better to discuss early stage or speculative ideas on
bitcointalk.org technical thread.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=6.0

taxation in particular there are examples where even the political sphere
accepts significantly anonymous taxation.  eg for europeans with certain
types of investment in a swiss bank, the swiss bank sends however many
million as a single payment across all users per european country to their
passport home country (minus 25% cut for the swiss government).  Perhaps
such things could be possible for bitcoin.  Again I think bitcoin talk would
be a good place for such a discussion if that was the OP question
indirectly.

Adam