[Bitcoin-development] Finite monetary supply for Bitcoin

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 19:07:05 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 12:00 PM, Pieter Wuille <pieter.wuille at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I understand this is a controversial proposal, but bear with me please.
> I believe we cannot accept the current subsidy schedule anymore, so I
> wrote a small draft BIP with a proposal to turn Bitcoin into a
> limited-supply currency. Dogecoin has already shown how easy such
> changes are, so I consider this a worthwhile idea to be explored.
>
> The text can be found here: https://gist.github.com/sipa/9920696

A minor nitpick:  It is well known that the Bitcoin core developers
are some of the most active TypeScript coders around,
E.g. http://osrc.dfm.io/sipa  and http://osrc.dfm.io/gavinandresen

But I think this is an important step forward: Seminal alternative
crypto-currencies such as SolidCoin showed us that economic parameters
can be freely changed at any time, for any (or no) reason at all; and
so we should take this opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to
adopting innovative features like non-inflation regardless of their
origins in other crypto-currencies.