[Bitcoin-development] Detailed gitian build guide

Wladimir laanwj at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 05:51:55 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 6:47 AM, devrandom <c1.sf-bitcoin at niftybox.net>wrote:

> Nice!
>
> I wonder how much of this could be scripted.

Everything, probably, using vmbuilder (and/or vagrant as Nick Simpson
suggests). But that's not the point here. It is to provide exact steps that
people can follow to get a basic (virtual) machine that they can use to do
gitian builds.

I didn't want to end up with a gitian-builder-that-builds-a-gitian-builder
:-) The host machine may not even have any scripting languages installed
(in the case of Windows).

It may be possible to script *some* parts (most of the quoted bash script
is runnable as script) without automating the entire process, but I hope
that over time we can make Gitian itself easier to use/setup, so that less
steps are needed in the first place.

Wladimir