[Bitcoin-development] Why are we bleeding nodes?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 14:04:13 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 6:58 AM, Jameson Lopp <jameson.lopp at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Bitnodes project updated their counting algorithm a month or so ago. It used to be slower and less accurate - prior to their update, it was reporting in excess of 100,000 nodes.

Nah.  It reported multiple metrics. The "100,000" number was an mostly
useless metric that just counted the number of distinct addr messages
floating around the network, which contains a lot of junk.  They also
reported an actual connectable node count previously and while they
may have tweaked things here and there as far as I can tell it has
been consistent with the numbers they are using in the headlines now.