[Bitcoin-development] Why are we bleeding nodes?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 17:16:03 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Mark Friedenbach <mark at monetize.io> wrote:
> On 04/07/2014 09:57 AM, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>> That is an implementation issue— mostly one that arises as an indirect
>> consequence of not having headers first and the parallel fetch, not a
>> requirements issue.
>
> Oh, absolutely. But the question "why are people not running full
> nodes?" has to do with the current implementation, not abstract
> capabilities of a future version of the bitcoind code base.

The distinction is very important because it's a matter of things we
can and should fix vs things that cannot be fixed except by changing
goals/incentives!  Opposite approaches to handling them.

When I read "resource requirements of a full node are moving beyond" I
didn't extract from that that "there are implementation issues that
need to be improved to make it work better for low resource users" due
to the word "requirements".