[Bitcoin-development] Why are we bleeding nodes?

Chris Williams chris at icloudtools.net
Mon Apr 7 17:39:37 UTC 2014

I’m afraid this is a highly simplistic view of the costs of running a full node.

My node consumes fantastic amounts of data traffic, which is a real cost.

In the 30 days ending Apri 6, my node:

* Received 36.8 gb of data
* Sent 456.5 gb data

At my geographic service location (Singapore), this cost about $90 last month for bandwidth alone. It would be slightly cheaper if I was hosted in the US of course.

But anyone can understand that moving a half-terrabyte of data around in a month will not be cheap.