[Bitcoin-development] New BIP32 structure

Pieter Wuille pieter.wuille at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 13:18:52 UTC 2014

I still don't understand the purpose of cointype. If you don't want to
risk reusing the same keys across different currencies, just don't use
the same seed or the same account? That is purely a client-side issue.

If the consensus is to add the cointype anyway, can we fix it to be
equal to the 4-byte magic in the serialization (after setting the high
bit to true)? That way there aren't two 4-byte magic codes that need
to be defined for each, and at the same time make it obvious from the
serialized form what it is for.