[Bitcoin-development] Bitcoind-in-background mode for SPV wallets

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 15:57:58 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 8:42 AM, Brian Hoffman <brianchoffman at gmail.com> wrote:
> How would this affect the user in terms of disk storage? They're going to
> get hammered on space constraints aren't they? If it's not required how
> likely are users to enable this?

If Bitcoin core activates pruning a full node can be supported in—
say— 4GBytes or so. (That gives enough space to store the utxo about
350MB now, and a couple gigs for blocks to serve out).

I'd imagine getting information from SPV wallet developers how much
disk usage agility they think is required is part of what Wladimir is
looking for.