[Bitcoin-development] Bitcoind-in-background mode for SPV wallets

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Wed Apr 9 18:00:16 UTC 2014

The right way to start with this, if anyone cares, is to add
instrumentation to existing SPV wallet apps to report back to home base how
long they are running for, how much disk space / RAM they have, and
possibly what kind of hardware.

I *strongly* suspect that the vast majority of SPV wallets are not left
running permanently, and run on laptops where battery life is at a premium.
These people will never want to run full nodes.

Sorry. I don't think it will ever make sense to run full nodes on consumer
hardware again. Our time is much better spent on optimising so it's cheaper
for full node operators to run them on cheap virtualised servers.