[Bitcoin-development] Bitcoind-in-background mode for SPV wallets

Wladimir laanwj at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 18:19:56 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 8:00 PM, Mike Hearn <mike at plan99.net> wrote:

> The right way to start with this, if anyone cares, is to add
> instrumentation to existing SPV wallet apps to report back to home base how
> long they are running for, how much disk space / RAM they have, and
> possibly what kind of hardware.
>
> I *strongly* suspect that the vast majority of SPV wallets are not left
> running permanently, and run on laptops where battery life is at a premium.
> These people will never want to run full nodes.

Bitcoins stands or falls with people running full nodes.

If no one wants to volunteer resources to support the network anymore,
we'll have failed.

Sorry. I don't think it will ever make sense to run full nodes on consumer
> hardware again. Our time is much better spent on optimising so it's cheaper
> for full node operators to run them on cheap virtualised servers.

Most consumer hardware is much more powerful than 'cheap virtualized
servers'. More memory, disks are cheap, and at least in the Netherlands
home bandwidth is much cheaper than server bandwidth.

Also: any optimization that helps running on cheap servers will also help
running it on consumer hardware. It's not the one or the other.

Wladimir