[Bitcoin-development] Bitcoind-in-background mode for SPV wallets

Wladimir laanwj at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 18:46:06 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 8:35 PM, Justus Ranvier <justusranvier at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 04/09/2014 06:19 PM, Wladimir wrote:
> > If no one wants to volunteer resources to support the network
> > anymore, we'll have failed.
>
> If the security of the network depends on a broken incentive model,
> then fix the design of the network so that economics works for you
> instead of against you.

My solution would be quick to implement and could help increase the number
of nodes in the short term. It will also smooth the way towards splitting
off the wallet from Bitcoin Core, by giving people a choice what wallet
they use with their full node.

That doesn't preclude looking for longer-term solutions that change the
incentive structure, but that is much more difficult and risky. I don't
believe it's a matter of 'fixing that instead' in a few hours, though I
nevertheless look forward to your pull request.

Wladimir