[Bitcoin-development] Bitcoind-in-background mode for SPV wallets

slush slush at centrum.cz
Wed Apr 9 20:50:08 UTC 2014

We definitely *need* lightweight bitcoin router / "core" which can be
easily deployed anywhere. No disagreement here.

I just wanted to remind that there're actually much more running nodes
*already* and maybe converting those hidden nodes to publicly reachable
nodes may be way easier than attracting fresh instances.

To the idea of bundled core with SPV clients - it won't improve anything,
in my opinion. SPV wallets are not running long-term (maybe Multibit team
has any better stats) so blockchain catching will turn the computer to be
unusable everytime user starts the wallet; that's exactly the reason why
people choose SPV wallets over full blockchain wallets.

Not saying that SPV clients usually aren't reachable from outside, which
turns the topic back to my ideas about motivating users to expose their
existing instances over Internet.

Marek