[Bitcoin-development] Bitcoind-in-background mode for SPV wallets

Pieter Wuille pieter.wuille at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 11:32:44 UTC 2014

There were earlier discussions.

The two ideas were either using one or a few service bits to indicate
availability of blocks, or to extend addr messages with some flags to
indicate this information.

I wonder whether we can't have a hybrid: bits to indicate general
degree of availability of blocks (none, only recent, everything), but
indicate actual availability only upon actually connecting (through a
"version" extension, or - preferably - a separate message). Reason is
that the actual blocks available are likely to change frequently (if
you keep the last week of blocks, a 3-day old addr entry will have
quite outdated information), and not that important to actual peer
selection - only to drive the decision which blocks to ask after
connection.