[Bitcoin-development] Chain pruning

Brian Hoffman brianchoffman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 16:23:40 UTC 2014

This is probably just noise, but what if nodes could compress and store
earlier transaction sets (archive sets) and serve them up conditionally. So
if there were let's say 100 archive sets of (10,000 blocks) you might have
5 open at any time when you're an active archive node while the others sit
on your disk compressed and unavailable to the network. This would allow
nodes to have all full transactions but conserve disk space and network
activity since they wouldn't ever respond about every possible transaction.

This could be based on a rotational request period, based on request count
or done periodically. Once their considered active they would be expected
to uncompress a set and make it available to the network. Clients would
have to piece together archive sets from different nodes, but if there
weren't enough archive nodes to cover the chain they could ratchet up the
amount of required open archive sets when your node was active.

I fully expect to have my idea trashed, but I'm dipping toes in the waters
of contribution.