[Bitcoin-development] Warning message when running wallet in Windows XP (or drop support?)

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 22:06:47 UTC 2014

Bringing the thread back on-topic:

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 1:14 AM, Wladimir <laanwj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> Today I noticed that even my bank is warning people to not do internet
> banking with Windows XP.
> If it is no longer secure enough for online banking it's CERTAINLY not
> secure enough to run a wallet (for a node only it would be ok-ish as they
> have no keys to protect).
> Any opinions on what to do here?

I think eventually multi-wallet support will make it so that a wallet
won't be created by default. Instead users would create-wallet, which
would also give them options like using a HSM (e.g. trezor) or
multisig secured wallet.  That would be a great point where, if they
elect to run and ordinary unsecured wallet, and the software detects
that the host is known-to-not-likely-be-secure it could whine at them
and direct them to a security best practices page.

Then you also avoid whining at people who never run a wallet or use a
hsm making the host security somewhat moot.