[Bitcoin-development] Warning message when running wallet in Windows XP (or drop support?)

Wladimir laanwj at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 07:39:33 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 12:06 AM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com>wrote:

> Bringing the thread back on-topic:

Thanks.

>  On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 1:14 AM, Wladimir <laanwj at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Today I noticed that even my bank is warning people to not do internet
> > banking with Windows XP.
> > If it is no longer secure enough for online banking it's CERTAINLY not
> > secure enough to run a wallet (for a node only it would be ok-ish as they
> > have no keys to protect).
> > Any opinions on what to do here?
>
> I think eventually multi-wallet support will make it so that a wallet
> won't be created by default.

After the wallet split-off this will also be easier:

- Bitcoin Core Node
- Bitcoin Core Wallet

The node would be as compatible as possible with any OS in existence, but
the wallet can be more picky.

> Instead users would create-wallet, which
> would also give them options like using a HSM (e.g. trezor) or
> multisig secured wallet.

HSMs complicate this; I'm not even sure how this will work, are the Trezor
guys planning to contribute support for their device to wallets including
Bitcoin Core?

Hopefully by that time, everyone will have forgotten about XP already :)

Wladimir