[Bitcoin-development] [RFC] Proposal: Base58 encoded HD Wallet root key with optional encryption

William Yager will.yager at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 00:05:04 UTC 2014

The spec has been updated a bit.

Even if the bulk of the key-stretching work has been outsourced to another
device, and that device is compromised, the passphrase is now protected by
minimum 8192 rounds of salted PBKDF2-HMAC-SHA512.

The idea is that more powerful devices (mobile phones, laptops, etc.) can
do all the key-stretching on their own, whereas weaker devices with access
to another device with more computing power (like Trezors) do a fair amount
of key-stretching on their own, but can safely export the rest of the
key-stretching to the other device.

Will