[Bitcoin-development] Development Roadmap of Bitcoin Core 0.9.2

Kristov Atlas kristovatlas at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 20:52:31 UTC 2014

On 04/23/2014 04:39 PM, Warren Togami Jr. wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 10:05 AM, Kristov Atlas
> <kristovatlas at gmail.com <mailto:kristovatlas at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I see that the latest nightly build (thanks for that, Warren) is
>     still not compatible with Tails/Debian Squeeze. Is there still an
>     intention to address this issue? Might it be fixed by 0.9.2?
>

> If I understand the situation, bitcoind does work but not bitcoin-qt
> due to qt-4.6?  If that is so, then the official Bitcoin 0.8.6
> binaries didn't work on Squeeze either this is not a regression.
>
> The priority is for bitcoind to work on as many distributions as
> reasonably possible as older stable distributions are most often
> headless.  If you are a rare user who needs Bitcoin-Qt on an
> incompatible system you can at least build it from source.
>
> Warren

Bitcoin-Qt 0.8.6 worked fine on Tails (and Debian Squeeze, I assume).
So, it is a regression.

Here's output from the latest nightly build for Linux:

amnesia at amnesia:~/bitcoin-0.9.99.0-20140422-2bbecc8-linux/bin/32$ ./bitcoin-qt
./bitcoin-qt: symbol lookup error: ./bitcoin-qt: undefined symbol: _ZN19QAbstractProxyModel11setItemDataERK11QModelIndexRK4QMapIi8QVariantE

Since Tails has many simple development tools like "make" stripped out
for security reasons, one could not simply build from source in Tails.
It might be possible to build in Debian Squeeze and transplant that,
however. I'll have to give that a shot some time. I'd argue that Tails
is an incredibly important -- and hardly obscure -- Linux distribution
that Bitcoin should endeavour to support. See:
https://tails.boum.org/press/index.en.html

-Kristov