[Bitcoin-development] Coinbase reallocation to discourage Finney attacks

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Thu Apr 24 14:09:31 UTC 2014

> Like I said before, that leads to the obvious next step of
> deleting/stealing their coinbases if they don't identify themselves.

And as I said before, that's a huge leap. A majority of miners deciding
double spending needs tougher enforcement doesn't imply they also think all
miners should identify themselves. Those are unrelated things.

This kind of totally unsupported "obvious next step" argument can be
applied to any proposal in any walk of life. We developed SPV clients? The
obvious next step is that miners have to stop being anonymous. We developed
floating fees? The obvious next step is that miners have to stop being
anonymous. The prior arguments sound absurd exactly because they're not
obvious or even logical - same as this.