[Bitcoin-development] Coinbase reallocation to discourage Finney attacks

Christophe Biocca christophe.biocca at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 16:05:55 UTC 2014

> Casting that vote does them no harm.
> Every time another pool joins the blacklist, there's no harm to them to doing so.

I actually agree that this is a problem, but that's actually not
inherent in the proposed enforcement mechanism (just the current
voting rules).

Here's an alternate:

- To start a vote, you set aside a part of your coinbase with amount X
<= their entire coinbase amount.
- Then you need 51 blocks with a "yes" vote before the coinbase
maturity of the target for the vote to be considered a success.
- Success means target coinbase has X coins reallocated/burned.
- Failure means vote-initiating coinbase has X coins reallocated/burned.

The incentives for voting miners are to vote yes if and only if they
dislike the targeted miner more than the initiator (all other monetary
effects are identical). That isn't a bulletproof way to force miners
to only punish double spenders (rather than anything they dislike in
general), but it removes the risk free nature of trying to take away
another miner's coinbase.

It means that you'll need a high level of confidence other miners are
on your side before taking a risk, but, because you've got a much
longer time frame than 10 minutes, you can get manual confirmation
from other miners.