[Bitcoin-development] [RFC] Proposal: Base58 encoded HD Wallet root key with optional encryption

William Yager will.yager at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 19:39:52 UTC 2014

Gmaxwell pointed out that we could safely front-load all the key
pre-stretching. The spec has been updated to take advantage of this.

The user's password is now protected by 10,000 rounds of salted
PBKDF2-HMAC-SHA512, as well as the main KDF (which ranges from scrypt
2^14/8/8 to scrypt 2^18/16/16 and PBKDF2-HMAC-SHA512 2^16 to 2^21).

Will