[Bitcoin-development] Proof-of-Stake branch?

Stephen Reed stephenreed at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 25 10:35:00 UTC 2014

My understanding is that sidechains require merged mining support and that sidechains create no coinbase transactions themselves. When Bitcoin Core supports the two-way peg then I would update my source code branch to incorporate that or any other change that is released. Ideally, when sidechains can work with PoW Bitcoin, then those same sidechains should work without any changes with PoS Bitcoin running in my testnet.

I will be examining PPC, NXT and whitepapers for ideas that I can implement in such a way as the result can be called Bitcoin. The only difference would be the absence of wasteful Proof-of-Work, and the presence of mining rewards distributed to full nodes in proportion to the amount of bitcoin each is willing to expose to the network. Coin age is a good starting point. A reference peer-to-peer pool developed by me would be responsible for fairly distributing the mining rewards as daily dividend payments to PoS full node pool members.

In a few days, I plan to establish a Proof-of-Stake Bitcoin project thread in the Project Development sub-forum of Bitcointalk. We can continue the technical discussion there, starting with a list of principles.

Stephen L. Reed
Austin, Texas, USA
512.791.7860

Are proof of stake blockchains compatible with the sidechain/two-way peg system invented by Greg (and maybe others - reports unclear)?