[Bitcoin-development] BIP32 "wallet structure" in use? Remove it?

Jim jim618 at fastmail.co.uk
Fri Apr 25 14:53:27 UTC 2014

Oh dear.

For reasons that are perfectly reasonable we are close to losing any chance of intra-client HD compatibility for BIP32 wallets.

In the next 12 months there will probably be collectively millions of users of our new wallets. I don't want them to suffer from vendor lockin.

Can we not agree on a lowest common denominator that we agree to support ?
An "HD Basic" if you like.
For entry level users we can keep things simple and any "HD Basic" bitcoin will be fully interoperable.

Sure, if you use anything fancy you'll be locked in to a particular wallet but a lot of users just want somewhere safe to put their bitcoin, spend it and receive it.

I appreciate standising everything is very difficult (if not impossible) but if we don't have a minimum of interoperability I think we'll do our users a disservice.

http://bitcoin-solutions.co.uk