[Bitcoin-development] Coinbase reallocation to discourage Finney attacks

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 14:21:34 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 7:13 AM, Mike Hearn <mike at plan99.net> wrote:
> It only works if the majority of hashpower is controlled by attackers, in
> which case Bitcoin is already doomed. So it doesn't matter at that point.

These parties wouldn't generally consider themselves attackers— nor
would many users (presumably everyone who mines on ghash.io, for
example)— rather they'd they may consider someone using hashpower
voting to reassign coins to be an attacker, and reassigning their
coins instead to be a morally justified and pragmatic response.

I think we're capable here of discussing the specifics without needing
to use generalizations which invite definitional arguments... I don't
think that bombastic language like doomed helps the dialog.