[Bitcoin-development] NODE_EXT_SERVICES and advertising related services

Wladimir laanwj at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 09:56:24 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 11:45 AM, Mike Hearn <mike at plan99.net> wrote:
> Given that we're not running out of service bits and service bits mean you
> don't have to try connecting to every node to find out what services it
> supports, why not keep using the existing extension mechanism until we start
> running out of bits?

He wants to use it to advertise services that are not part of the P2P
protocol itself, but run on a different port. Reserving services bits
for those is not acceptable.

All the NODE_EXT_SERVICES bit does is advertise the P2P "getextsrv"
command to get information, such as the port to connect on, for the
auxilary service.

Wladimir