[Bitcoin-development] Synchronization: 19.5 % orphaned blocks at height 197'324

mbde at bitwatch.co mbde at bitwatch.co
Sun Aug 10 13:42:41 UTC 2014

Hello all,

I'm currently synchronizing a new node and right now, at a progress of a
height of 197'324 blocks, I count in my debug.log an aweful amount of
38'447 orphaned blocks which is about 19.5 %.

It has been I while since I watched the synchronization process closely,
but this number seems pretty high to me.

I'm wondering about the following: would it be possible for a malicious
party to generate chains of blocks with low difficulity which are not
part of the main chain to slow down the sync process?

Build and version information:
https://github.com/jmcorgan/bitcoin/tree/026686c7de76dfde6fcacfc3d667fb3418a946a7
(sipa/jmcorgan address index)
Rebased with:
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/tree/94e1b9e05b96e4fe639e5b07b7a53ea216170962
(almost up-to-date mainline)

Compressed debug.log attached:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvtd91xiwmdmun7/debug.7z?m=
(filesize: 7.67 MB, uncompressed: 41.3 MB)