[Bitcoin-development] CoinShuffle: decentralized CoinJoin without trusted third parties

Mark Friedenbach mark at monetize.io
Mon Aug 11 17:06:48 UTC 2014

There should not be a requirement at this level to ensure validity. That
would too constrain use cases of implementations of your protocol. It is
not difficult to imagine use cases where parties generate chained
transactions on top of unconfimed transactions. Although malleability
currently makes this difficult to do safely in general, it is not
inconceivable that there are circumstances where it would nevertheless be
safe or otherwise desireable.

It is a good security recommendation that clients validate the inputs to a
shuffle they are participating in. What this means depends on the client --
checking the UTXO set for a full node, making some getutxos queries for a
SPV client. But this should remain a recommendation, not a requirement.