[Bitcoin-development] Outbound connections rotation

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 19:37:49 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Ivan Pustogarov
<ivan.pustogarov at uni.lu> wrote:
> the same for a long time, an attacker which does not have any peers at all
> but just listens the Bitcoin network can link together differed BC addresses
> and learn the IP of the client.

I don't understand what you're talking about here; if you have no peer
at all you will learn nothing about the Bitcoin network.

Can you clarify?

> The 8 entry peers are unique per client so if two
> users share the same IP, they can be distinguished.

What mechanism are you referring to specifically?

> Outbound connections are still rotated from time to time due to remote side
> disconnections. Plus outbound connections do not survive BC client restarts
> (unlike Tor Guard nodes).

On our initial connections we do have a preference for nodes we knew
were up recently. This could be made further. That the current
behavior isn't great isn't an argument for making it worse on that
dimension.