[Bitcoin-development] Reconsidering github

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 20:54:08 UTC 2014

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Paul Rabahy <prabahy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want go give a bit of an outsiders perspective. I thoroughly understand
> the concepts of bitcoin and am a professional programmer, but have never
> taken the time to compile my own copy of bitcoin core.
>
> I have looked at the pull requests on Github many times. I have cloned the
> repo to my own computer, but haven't really used that to do much. I find
> Github very easy to use, and (to me) it has the lowest bar to get more eyes
> passively looking at the code. As a security guy, I appreciate the extra
> time and effort that goes into signing commits and merges even if I have not
> personally verified the signatures. I would like to see bitcoin core
> continue to use github, but have no objection to additional mirrors of the
> repo being hosted on different sites.

Nothing suggested here would ever remove the ability to go and explore
and read the changes just as you're doing so.

Already the way it works is that our local repositories are
authoritative for each of us. (Git itself is a decentralized system
regardless of github's efforts to make it look otherwise).