[Bitcoin-development] Recent EvalScript() changes mean CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY can't be merged

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at bitpay.com
Mon Dec 15 15:20:47 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Btc Drak <btcdrak at gmail.com> wrote:

> We all want to see more modular code, but the first steps should just be
> to relocate blocks of code so everything is more logically organised in
> smaller files (especially for consensus critical code). Refactoring should
> come in a second wave preferably after a stable release.

This is my opinion as well.  In the Linux kernel, we often were faced with
a situation where you have a One Big File driver with > 1MB of source
code.  The first step was -always- raw code movement, a brain-dead breaking
up of code into logical source code files.

Refactoring of data structures comes after that.

While not always money-critical, these drivers Had To Keep Working.  We had
several situations where we had active users, but zero hardware access for
debugging, and zero access to the vendor knowledge (hardware documentation,
engineers).  Failure was not an option.  ;p

Performing the dumb Break Up Files step first means that future, more
invasive data structures are easier to review, logically segregated, and
not obscured by further code movement changes down the line.  In code such
as Bitcoin Core, it is important to think about the _patch stream_ and how
to optimize for reviewer bandwidth.

The current stream of refactoring is really a turn-off in terms of
reviewing, sapping reviewer bandwidth by IMO being reviewer-unfriendly.  It
is a seemingly never-ending series of tiny
refactor-and-then-stuff-in-a-class-and-make-it-pretty-and-do-all-the-work.
Some change is in order, gentlemen.

--
Jeff Garzik
Bitcoin core developer and open source evangelist