[Bitcoin-development] Area of Focus

Jeremy Spilman jeremy at taplink.co
Sat Dec 20 11:14:28 UTC 2014

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 02:08:17 -0800, Roy Badami <roy at gnomon.org.uk> wrote:
> Why would we want to have anything to do with people who are hosting
> malware?  Or do I misunderstand?

It sounds like Matt is saying the nodes the dnsseed is pointing to as
valid full nodes, that those IPs are hosting the malware. Since the
dnsseed picks up any stable nodes it can find without auditing, it's
perhaps not surprising some servers in the world are running a full node
and a malware server together.

I guess what confused me about this though, how are ISPs reading the
dnsseed's node list, scanning *those* IPs for malware, and then ending up
blocking the dnsseed? Seems like a pretty winding path to end up blocking
a DNS server?

Since when do ISPs null-route a DNS server for happening to resolve some
domains to IPs which happen to also be hosting some malware? Null-route
those endpoint IPs sure, but the DNS server too? I guess there was that
incident of Microsoft taking over No-IP.com -- are dnsseeds being blocked
ostensibly because they are acting as dyanamic DNS infrastructure for
malware sites?