[Bitcoin-development] Area of Focus

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 21:30:03 UTC 2014

On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Jeremy Spilman <jeremy at taplink.co> wrote:
>> are dnsseeds being blocked
> ostensibly because they are acting as dyanamic DNS infrastructure for
> malware sites?

Pretty much appears to be the case. In every instance it appears to be
automated. This predates the msft no-ip.com stuff.
We also had similar problems with the IRC based method that the
software originally used.

It's the same story for mail relay spam blacklisting.  There is a
whole industry out there selling people semi-snake-oil blocking
solutions to make the baddness of the internet go away. The low margin
business demands a cheap and highly automated approach... lots of
inappropriate things get blocked. Nagging people to fix things is time
consuming, better to move out of their sights a bit, so that they at
least have to specifically target Bitcoin. If they do, it'll at least
be worth the time spent fixing it.

I believe opendns is blocking all of sipa.be still as we speak, so if
you'd like to see it for yourself try to load http://bitcoin.sipa.be
while using opendns.