[Bitcoin-development] BIP: Voluntary deposit bonds

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 18:28:54 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 4:25 PM, Sergio Lerner
<sergiolerner at certimix.com> wrote:
> Slight off-topic:
> That looks like an abuse of the VM. Even P2SH is an abuse of the VM.
> Gavin's OP_EVAL (hard-fork) should had been chosen. I'm taking about a
> simple change that goes along the lines of Satoshi's original design.
> Bitcoin was a beautiful design, and extra complexity is making it ugly.
> We need Bitcoin to be simple to understand for new programmers so they
> can keep the project going. It doesn't help the project that one needs
> to be a guru to code for Bitcoin.

Sergio there is no "abuse" there,  OP_NOP3 in that case would be
redefined to OP_COINBASE_FOO_CONSISTENCY.

(I say FOO because it's not clear what rule you actually hope to apply there.)

What you suggested has no purpose by itself: it would need an
additional change which overlays functionality in order to actually do
something. Such a change would likely be "ugly"-- it's easy to be
elegant when you do nothing.