[Bitcoin-development] Payment Protocol for Face-to-face Payments

Andreas Schildbach andreas at schildbach.de
Fri Feb 7 23:15:43 UTC 2014

I have refreshed the Bitcoin Wallet preview version with beta version
3.32. It now implements BIP72 aka "URI extension for payment protocol".

There is one important deviation from the standard though: Bitcoin URI
address and amount fields need to correspond to the data from the
payment request. The makes sure the signature really signs the URI
(which you've gotten directly from the payee) and not a malicious
payment request introduced by a MITM. Note the memo isn't protected like
that, so it can still be MITM'ed.

I know this means that for the time being Bitcoin URIs must be
"backwards compatible". That should not be an issue since we will be in
transition phase for many months anyway. Until then, I hope we will have
agreed on a more sophisticated approach, e.g. a separate hash in the URI.

Source:
https://github.com/schildbach/bitcoin-wallet/commits/v3.32

Binaries:
https://github.com/schildbach/bitcoin-wallet/releases/tag/v3.32
(also published to the corresponding channels on Google Play)