[Bitcoin-development] MtGox blames bitcoin

naman naman namanhd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 20:42:02 UTC 2014

I was talking about a DOS attack in
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=458608.0 (ofcourse only applicable
to entitys doing the tracking with txids).

Amazing how I did not get a response from any of the devs (except Greg's
response
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=458608.msg5063789#msg5063789 but
that too was short and not concerning the attack scenario plausibiity as I
replied to him).

Today they are apparently at work here
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/3651

Amazing how nobody acknowledges it until later when the attack already
happens. The devs need to show some greater level of responsibility.

Don't get me wrong - I am not trying to claim credit for the attack scheme
described (though I do not know of any other place where this was mentioned
earlier as an attack scheme), but I am trying to make the point that people
should just be around and at least make others feel that their concerns are
being read. Now putting this on some place like reddit will only give the
community a bad name.

On a lighter note I messaged some of the devs (as my previous mail says)
saying the attack should be called "thenoblebot" attack (after my handle,
which would inspire me to pursue crypto studies further). It was meant to
be a lame joke. But I had no idea how it would start causing so much
disruption in the ecosystem.

Regards
thenoblebot