[Bitcoin-development] [RFC] [BIP proposal] Dealing with malleability

Michael Gronager gronager at mac.com
Wed Feb 19 14:11:51 UTC 2014

Why introduce a new transaction version for this purpose ? Wouldn't it be more elegant to simply let:

1. the next bitcoin version "prettify" all relayed transactions as deterministic transactions fulfilling the scheme 1-6 effectively blocking any malleability attack? If miners would upgrade then all transactions in blocks would have a deterministic hash.

2. In a version later one could block relay of non deterministic transactions, as well as the acceptance of blocks with non-confirming transactions.

To non-standard conforming clients this "prettify" change of hash would be seen as a constant malleability attack, but given the "prettify" code it is to fix any client into producing only conforming transactions, just by running the transaction through it before broadcast.

There is a possible fork risk in step 2. above - if a majority of miners still havn't upgraded to 1 when 2 is introduced. We could monitor % non conforming transaction in a block and only introduce 2. once that number is sufficiently small for a certain duration - criteria:
* Switch on forcing of unmalleable transactions in blocks when there has been only conforming transactions for 1000 blocks.