[Bitcoin-development] [RFC] [BIP proposal] Dealing with malleability

Michael Gronager gronager at mac.com
Wed Feb 19 20:28:24 UTC 2014

Twisting your words a bit I read:

* you want to support relay of transactions that can be changed on the fly, but you consider it wrong to modify them.
* #3 is already not forwarded, but you still find it relevant to support it.

Rational use cases of #3 will be pretty hard to find given the fact that they can be changed on the fly. We are down to inclusion in blocks by miners for special purposes - or did I miss out something?

I think that we could guarantee fewer incidents by making version 1 transactions unmalleable and then optionally introduce a version 3 that supported the malleability feature. That way most existing problematic implementations would be fixed and no doors were closed for people experimenting with other stuff - tx v 3 would probably then be called experimental transactions.

/M