[Bitcoin-development] On OP_RETURN in upcoming 0.9 release

Mark Friedenbach mark at monetize.io
Mon Feb 24 17:23:12 UTC 2014

Given our standardization on 128-bit security / 256-bit primitives, I
can't think of any crypto related data payload which requires more than
40 bytes. Even DER encoded compressed public keys will fit in there. A
signature won't fit, but why would you need one in there?

There's no need to design for 64-byte hashes, and the 80-char line
length comparison is a good point. As an Engineer I'd want to have a
little more room as a 32-byte hash or EC point + 8 bytes identifying
prefix data is the bare minimum, but it is also very important that we
send a message: This is for payment related applications like stealth
addresses only. Don't burden everybody by putting your junk on the block
chain.