[Bitcoin-development] An idea for alternative payment scheme

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Fri Jan 3 20:23:20 UTC 2014

Seems like you (Nadav) are the third person to reinvent this idea so far :)

I wrote up some of the post-Bytecoin variants here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=317835.msg4103530#msg4103530

The general limitation so far is its not SPV compatible, so the recipient
has to test each payment to see if its one he can compute the private key
for.  Or the sender has to send the recipient out of band the derivation
key.

However at present most of the bitcoin infrastructure is using the bitcoin
broadcast channel as the communication channel, which also supports payer
and payee not being simultaneously online.  You have to be careful also not
to lose the key.  You dont want a subsequent payer data loss event to lose
money for the recipient.  You want the message to be sent atomically.

It does seem like a very attractive proposition to be able to fix the
address reuse issue.  Admonishment to not reuse addresses doesnt seem to
have been successful so far, and there are multiple widely used wallets that
reuse addresses (probably in part because they didnt implement HD wallets
and so are scared of losing addresses due to backup failure risks of non HD
wallets and fresh addresses).

Adam