[Bitcoin-development] Merge mining

Jorge Timón jtimon at monetize.io
Sat Jan 4 10:34:55 UTC 2014

On 1/4/14, David Vorick <david.vorick at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's meant to be in favor of merge mining.
>
> Dogecoin uses scrypt, which is a very popular algorithm.

Also, MS windows is a very popular operative system.
That's a fallacy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

> If any large
> currency were to be attacked through merge mining, it would probably be
> litecoin miners attacking dogecoin. But if you control enough of the
> litecoin network to do attack mining against dogecoin, you almost certainly
> have a huge vested interest in cryptocurrencies doing well.

Wait, wait, is Dogecoin merge-mineable with litecoin?
It could be if its developers wanted to, but I highly doubt it.
Precisely because of the myths spread against merged mining.

> By attacking
> dogecoin successfully, you'll cast doubt on the entire cryptocurrency
> ecosystem and hurt yourself in the process.

You shouldn't make such assumptions about the interests of a potential attacker.
For example, even being of the "cryptocurrency ecosystem" I could
consider that their slogans and videos are confusing newcomers and
they're really harming the general image of p2p currencies by
associating them with mad speculation and pump and dump schemes.

Being heavily involved in this "ecosystem", I would be very happy if
dogecoin disappeared tomorrow. Personally I've never mined anything,
but if I had the resources I would actually consider such an attack.

Again, I think we're getting off-topic with perrocoin. It hardly has
anything to do with MM.

--
Jorge Timón

http://freico.in/