[Bitcoin-development] Stealth Addresses

Roy Badami roy at gnomon.org.uk
Mon Jan 13 19:40:50 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 01:52:25AM -0800, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 1:18 PM, Gavin Andresen <gavinandresen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > No, please. Make it easy for non-geeks, extend the payment protocol, or
> > we'll spend the next two years writing code that tries to ignore linebreaks
> > and spaces and changing <input> elements in HTML forms to <textarea> ....
>
> However, if you're able to use the payment protocol then you probably
> don't need stealth addresses to prevent reuse.

I definitely think this is a case that should be addressed better than
at present.

To consider a concrete use case, imagine I wish to be able to give my
friends and acquaintances a paper business card with a QR code on it,
that they can use to make payments to me.  I don't own a domain or any
kind of X.509 certificate and I don't run an HTTP server.  I don't
feel comfortable with a solution that requires me to trust a third
party to complete the payments.

At the moment, I can give them a business card with a Bitcoin address.
Being able to give out a business card with a stealth address would be
a major advance.

roy